Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Knitting with Fabric Strips

I'm seeing a lot of interest in fabric strip knitting, which has been a favorite occupation of mine off and on since the mid 80's.

I have dug out a few pictures to post, and meanwhile will find more finished pieces, as well as the patterns I wrote at the time of my last "binge" about four years ago, and will present them here.

I learned to knit as soon as I could read the little Coats & Clark green book we all bought at Woolworth long ago - and taught myself. I have alternated knitting and needlepoint all these years, and have especially enjoyed the diversification in designing with the fabric strips - which I call "Raggedy Chic."

The skills required for this are few - and projects work up quickly, due to the large needles and "fat" strips. There is a link to a site for printing out graph paper for designing your own geometrics, as well as other patterns, as it requires an assymetric graph to accomodate knitting. (knitting stitches are wider than they are high).

Anyway - I'll try to get this started by early next week - needlepoint is pending right now!!

Lest I forget to mention it, the rags are splendid also for crochet projects! I did a leaflet for Leisure Arts in the early 90's on Crocheted Rag Rugs - and also have done flower pot covers, and all kinds of fun things with a big, fat hook.

ADDENDUM: I'm seeing so much interest in this, that I'm getting out my file folders of patterns I created back when I did these - and many others. I will offer some here as Freebies, but also will put them for sale as e-patterns on my web page. There are also tote bags in this series (showing on my other blog) - and tutorials on how to cut and knit with the fabric strips and design your own on graph paper..

No comments:

Post a Comment