Friday, February 20, 2009

New Napkin Ring Charts

Now the napkin ring charts! My good friend and co-conspirator Pat Miller suggested that these could also be made longer - about 7" for a cuff bracelet, and a bit longer for a bangle - and make wearable jewelry. When I have time, I'll also see if I can make little earrings to match like I did with the beaded cuff bracelets last year on the other blog.

This first scan is the "set up" for the napkin ring (or bracelet). As I determined it should be approximately 1 1/2" high, I marked 27 threads, and then marked the center of the 27, which is the 14th thread. Also folded the canvas to find the vertical center and marked it at the top. By doing this, I was assured that the "jewels" would come out even - or stop at the same place on each end. A tiny bit of juggling a few threads doesn't hurt, as it doesn't have to be exact. Sometimes I just get lucky and it happens anyway. Also, I always mark two threads at top and bottom for the "edge" stitch, which is long armed cross stitch. It makes a lovely binding, and rolls over easily to make the finishing neater. (See the patchwork post for this edge stitch)


I decided to show the marked canvases lengthwise, as the resolution could be made larger so you can see what's going on when you print them out. i.e. easier to see and to count. The first scan is of the April jewel - the diamonds.

The second is the January garnets, and the third is the "string of pearls" for June. I hope soon to have time to stitch these things, but can't seem to do it in double time as I wish. (like the old Charlie Chaplin movies, where everything moved very fast.)
As for stitching, I always outline the jewels first - that is, stitch the gold mountings. (or silver if you prefer). The "jewels" may be made with beads or with bump stitches and sparkly thread. I love using the Renaissance Shimmer for pearls. The little "picot" edging I put on two of them may be done with a single bead or just left plain and background color inserted.
You may use your own ideas for color on these - and even change the jewels. I try to draw them the most typical cuts for the particular stones - except the garnets, which I always "see" as antique lavoliers, etc. I'm already seeing "Emeralds."

No comments:

Post a Comment