This simple piece was worked due to my fascination with Caron Watercolours when I first found it several years ago - the color schemes are taken from it - and it was used to work the diamond frame around the center design. This one has the "blocks" colored and arrange to resemble flowers, and was worked entirely in the Watercolours and in Perle cotton.
The chart is very simple to follow - just mark the canvas as illustrated.
The ornament is 3 3/4" from point to point on 18 mesh, so you will need a square of canvas about 6 1/2" - 7". Begin stitching in the center on both ornaments - the green leaf on this one. Then just work from the center out according to the diagrams.
The close-up clearly illustrates the stitching in progress. I used the YLI Ribbon Floss in "Mauve" to make the smyrna cross frame, and also the first row of squares around the center. The background was worked with ecru DMC perle cotton.
While I was getting this ready this evening, it occurred to me that by lifting the inner Smyrna cross border by one thread, it creates a totally different format - lots of squares that could result in all kinds of different designs according to colors and stitches used - lot of possibilities here!!
I am doing something a bit different with these, and offering them as I did patterns in my newspaper article a long time ago - for, as I remember, "$2 and a SASE." However, we had no computers and no internet or anything of the sort back then - so I have now put these on my web page (the link is on this blog) for a minimal fee to cover "handling" as they have to be sent out by e-mail. They are in PDF form, so you can print them out to study - and if you spill coffee on them, you can just print them out again. They are a little more detailed than what I can do here. This is just an option I thought I would offer.
As I stated with the first ornament, these pictures and charts may be enlarged and printed out - just click on each to enlarge - and then print.