Sunday, February 13, 2011

Kreinik is Wired!!

I've been plodding along on this conical topiary for several weeks - just trying to get enough background done to play a bit and see what I could work out for special effects in surface embellishment. The Kreinik metallics have been wonderful, as usual, (I will explain this on the other blog), and just at the best possible moment, I received in the mail a few spools of it to try.

It's very much like the DMC Memory Thread, but is the metallic we all love from this company. This is one of my most favorite colors - and in the #16 braid, which is all that's produced in the Hot Wire series.

played with making shapes, and worked this out on a pair of fat knitting needles. (for smoothness and symmetry)

The method of handling is the same as for the DMC Memory Thread, which I have covered for needlepoint under the label "DMC" on the other blog. I can see a lot of possibilities for this loopy "fret," as it reminds me of the "cloud filling" I did from Sharon B's (Pintangle) stitch challenge last year.

This is also seen under DMC on my labels list on the other blog. It will require some manual manipulation to get it right on that curve, which will appear horizontal when the tree is upright.
A few weeks ago, I saw an ornament with a cording made with DMC Memory Thread, so I decided to see if I could twist the Kreinik. Due to it's nature, it isn't easy unless you have a little device for doing it (I don't) - so you need to cut short lengths, hold it tightly at both ends, and twist. Fun little tiny candy canes!
While looking at these, think also of the posts I did a few weeks ago on the plain and simple triangular trees - they would be great to play with in this manner!! I'll show the conical topiary sometime tomorrow with updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment