Friday, June 12, 2009

More "Jeweled Critters": Bees!!

I don't have the stitched models I did of these - they were on black canvas, and quite "jeweled" and glittery. I don't remember what I did with them or where they are, as it's been a number of years ago that the antique jewelry binge occurred with my needlepoint.

This little bee is 2 1/4" high x 2 7/8" from wing tip to wing tip on 18 mesh canvas. I do remember that I used Renaissance Shimmer and Sprinkles for the colored jewels and the enamel on the body.

The gold and silver were done with Kreinik #12 braid in the HL finish. The wings were stitched with something kind of iridescent, in white, but I don't remember what it was. Of course, any color jewels could be done, according to the stitcher's taste.

The chart for this one is simple - and remember, it's not any more difficult to count the little dots and put them onto canvas than doing counted X-stitch. I drew this in color to make it easier to see (and actually less confusing for me.


The second bee is a bit more complicated - apparently, because I miscounted several times, and had to dot out mistakes with white acrylic paint and the end of a paint brush.



The entire body where the jewels are, was done with "bump" stitches - Smyrna cross and Leviathan on the big red ruby on the abdomen. Incidentally, I am aware of proper insect anatomy, but used the antique pieces as they were - the first bee, I will pretend, has the second set of legs under the wings. The second one is a mutant, with the legs coming out from the lower abdomen. Oh well - for the sake of art........

As I had a bit of trouble marking the canvas for the chart, I am showing it in stages to make it easier.
These two bees could be used in the same ways as I suggested with the spider - and do
try it on black canvas! However, you have to find a white paint pen that will work - not an easy task, so I don't have one to recommend. Anyway - enjoy! Do them on clothing with waste canvas - whatever suits you.

No comments:

Post a Comment